The categories of information that we collect, hold and (in limited circumstances) share include:
- Information provided by those to directly interact with us for example supporters, donors, fundraisers, event attendees, volunteers, referrers or potential referrers, parents and carers of children who benefit or might potentially benefit from our services, and those who use our website.
- We collect the minimum personal information needed, relevant to the purpose for which you have contacted us.
- Such information may include names, address, phone number, email address, dates of birth, gender and school attended, financial information, racial or ethnic origin, details of a child’s health including any disability or other medical condition, contact preferences, records of Variety events you’ve attended, campaigns you’ve supported and written records of your contact with us.
How is your personal information collected?
- We collect personal information about you from the details supplied by you to us directly, for example by filling in and returning our forms, through ‘Contact Us’ on our website, by email to email@example.com, by telephone or through personal meetings with our staff, officers and other authorised personnel.
- Sometimes information is provided to us by other agencies with whom we may consult in connection with your application, where you have given us specific consent for us to do so. Such Agencies include for example:
- States of Jersey Social Security, Treasury and Resources, Housing, Health and Social Services;
- your child’s school;
- your doctor (GP), carer or anyone else that helps us support you or your child;
- other grant making bodies; and
- any other people or organisations where either you have given consent to share information with us or where the Law allows them to share information about you with us.
Why we collect and use this information:
We use the applicant data:
- to administer and made a decision about your current and future applications, nominations, or other matters in connection with which you have contacted us;
- to contact you with information relating you may find interesting or useful including future events and fundraising or volunteering opportunities;
- to keep a record of your support of or benefits received from Variety – the Children’s Charity; and
- to comply with the law regarding data sharing, safeguarding and health and safety.
How we use particularly sensitive personal information
“Special categories” of particularly sensitive personal information require higher levels of protection, for example racial and / or ethnic origin and details of the physical or mental health of children or adults in your family.
We need to have further justification for collecting, storing and using this type of personal information. We have in place an appropriate policy document and safeguards which we are required by law to maintain when processing such data. We may process special categories of personal information in the following circumstances:
- With your explicit written consent (which you are asked to provide in the relevant application form, where applicable);
- Where we need to carry out our legal obligations; or
- Where it is needed in the public interest, such as for equal opportunities monitoring.
If you do not allow us to process any sensitive personal data, this may mean we are unable to provide all or part of our service effectively.
Less commonly, we may process this type of information where it is needed in relation to legal claims or where it is needed to protect your interests (or someone else’s interests) and you are not capable of giving your consent, or where you have already made the information public.
Storing applicant data
- We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
- Details of retention periods for different aspects of your personal information are available in our Records Management Policy which is available from the Variety office which can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you.
Who we share applicant information with
We will not share the personal information that is particularly sensitive that we hold on you with anyone else, except where you have explicitly consented for us to do so (such consent which is requested in the relevant application form, where applicable) or where we are required to do by law. Other personal data we hold on you may be processed and shared with third parties where to do so is for our legitimate interests in providing services as a charity unless the processing is unwarranted by reasons of your legitimate interests or rights and freedoms.
Your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your relationship with us – either by contacting the Variety office or through our website Contact Us page.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
Please contact the Variety office by telephone: 01534 856937 or by email: email@example.com in relation to any of the above requests.
Data Protection Officer
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) to oversee compliance with this Privacy Notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact our DPO by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any concerns about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), Jersey’s supervisory authority for data protection issues.